IALANA is an international association of lawyers and lawyers’ organisations working for the elimination of nuclear arms, the strengthening of international law and the development of effective mechanisms for the peaceful settlement of international disputes.
Founded in 1988 in Stockholm IALANA has grown into a fully-fledged international citizens’ organization with consultative status with the United Nations.
IALANA has also expanded its scope of action to include
– efforts to abolish all types of inhumane weapons and to control the international arms trade,
– advancing concepts of security based on the application of law and legal mechanisms, development of non-offensive defence and implementation of confidence building measures,
– encouraging the establishment and use of the International Criminal Court and other legal procedures to address crimes against international humanitarian law.
IALANA has 3 international offices:
– Berlin, Germany (Head Office)
– Auckland, Aotearoa/New Zealand (Pacific Office)
– New York (United Nations Office)
IALANA has affiliates all over the world including: